Did You COP That?
Unpicking policies and commitments from COP26.
Catch up on the events
1. Voices and Perspectives from COP
November 17th 2021
2. COP26 Education Pledges
December 13th 2021
- Ana Romero – Mexico delegation and the education build up to COP26
- Betsy King – Learning for Sustainability Scotland
- Will – Year 12 student, Midlands Schools Sustainability Network and UK Schools Sustainability Network COP26 rep.
3. A Deep Dive into DfE
Sustainability and Climate Change Strategy
January 18th 2022
A conversation about the Department for Education’s draft strategy for education and children’s services systems, announced at COP.
- Ann Finlayson – OSW co-chair, CEO of SEEd and Advisor for DfE Usergroup
- Phoebe Hanson – from Teach the Future and Mock COP26
- Thiziri – Teach the Future representative from The Chase school who recently declared a climate emergency
- Sam Nadel – Head of Government Relations – Oxfam
4. A deep dive into the UK Environment Act.
February 17th 2022
Explore the UK’s new framework for environmental protection:
- Key themes of the Act and their implications
- What it means for young people, contexts for learning and the role of educators
- Opportunities, challenges, and links to wider policy agendas
Speakers for this event included:
- Debbie Tripley – WWF
- Vix Lowthion – Green Party Education
- Sara Collins – Nature Premium Campaign
- A spokesperson from Voyage Youth
5. Green Skills Part 1 –
An exploration of skills for a sustainable and just future.
March 21st 2022
Did you know there is a Skills Bill? Members of our community have been working to get ‘green’ skills included and better understood. They are also mentioned in the DfE draft Sustainability and Climate Change Strategy which we examined in our event earlier this year.
- Peter Duncan – former Chief Scout and Blue Peter presenter
- Leslee Udwin – Founder and Chief Executive of Think Equal
- Richard Dunne – from the Harmony Project
- Dr Penny Hay – Bath Spa University and Forest of Imagination
- Livia Filitico – Shimaka, forming new keepers of the forest’s living wisdom
6. Green Skills Part 2 –
Competencies and Frameworks.
June 6th 2022
Continuing the conversation about ‘Green’ skills in schools in England, exploring the development of Competencies, applying knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to a task or subject. A number of Competency Frameworks are available and here you will see ones from UNESCO and UNECE among others that have been tried and tested.
- Clive Belgeonne, DECSY – will outline a definition of competencies, with an example of how they use a self assessment competency questionnaire
- Cathy d’Abreu, Oxford Brookes University – will outline how she adapted the UNESCO competencies framework to educate university lecturers
- Rachel Musson, Thoughtbox – will outline their approach
- Dr Paul Vare, University of Gloucestershire – will outline his Rounder Sense of Purpose framework
- Professor Nicola Walsh, UCL – eco capabilities
This video will be available soon.